About chihuahua dogs.
This breed of dog takes its name from the place it was discovered: Chihuahua (Mexico) and is officially called “chihuahueño”. It is considered the oldest dog breed in the Americas.
Despite its tiny size, this dog has a lively character and a strong temperament. They are very brave when they feel threatened and rarely get along with other dog breeds.
The chihuahua is the smallest dog breed in the world, the smallest individual on record was only 10 cm (3.9 in) tall.
According to genetic research, this breed is supposed to be a descendant of the Techichi breed (an old Mexican dog breed) and other European dog breeds.
It became very popular in the United States because of a marketing campaign by the fast food chain Taco bell, that featured these dogs in their commercials.
There are two different types of chihuahua: long coat and smooth (short) coat. Both are found in a variety of colors. They have a big head in relation to their body, big eyes, large erect ears and a short muzzle.
About dogs in general:
- They evolved from ancient wolves (canis lupus lupus), as their scientific name indicates.
- Did you know that dogs sweat through the pads on their paws?
- It is believed that dogs were domesticated at least 15,000 years ago, even before the rise of agriculture or the appearance of writing.
- Did you know that, contrary to appearances, hyenas are more related to cats than dogs?
- A dog’s sense of smell is 100,000 times more sensitive than a human’s. Their nose is always wet, which helps them capture scent particles in the air. They also have an acute sense of hearing, much better than a human’s, which allows them to hear a range of frequencies that our ears cannot detect.
- It is the animal with the widest range of breeds on the planet.
|COMMON NAME||CONSERVATION STATUS|
|Chihuahua (domestic dog)||Not evaluated|
|Canis lupus familiaris||15,2-22,9 cm, (6-9 in)|
|Canidae||1,5-3 Kg, (3-6,6 lb)|
|Mammalia||58 – 65 days|
|This species is common||It is considered an omnivorous animal as a pet, but originally and at an evolutionary level it should be carnivore.|
|It is a domestic animal||As pets, they can be found anywhere humans live.|